4.29.2013

Fig Newtons (Primal/Paleo)


Primal Paleo fig newtons stacked

Fig Newtons
primal / paleo / grain-free / gluten-free / egg-free
Source: Adapted from Real Sustenance
Yield: 16 large cookies

Dough:
4T butter
1/2c honey, or other liquid sweetener
1/3t sea salt

Filling:
12oz dried figs
Juice of one large orange, about 1/3c

primal paleo almond flour tapioca starch fig newtons

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Add the dried figs and orange juice to a medium saucepan. Cover, and simmer over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes, until the figs have softened. Transfer the contents to a food processor and pulse until a smooth filling forms.

Figs and orange juice in food processor for primal paleo fig newton filling

Meanwhile combine the butter, honey, and vanilla in a stand mixer to combine. Add the flours, baking powder, and salt. Mix until a dough forms that holds together when squeezed in the palm.

almond flour and tapioca starch for paleo primal fig newtons

Cut 3 pieces of parchment to the size of your baking sheet. Divide the dough in half, and form a disc with half the dough between two sheets of parchment. Roll out into a 1/4in thick rectangle: approximately 12x8in. Using wet hands, spread half the filling along the middle third of the rectangle to within 1/2in of the top and bottom edges. 

Primal Paleo Fig Newton dough and filling assembly

Using the parchment, fold one third of the dough over the top of the filling.

Primal Paleo fig newton dough and filling assembly

Peel the parchment off the top so it's flat on the counter again and repeat with the the other third of the dough so you have a fig newton burrito of sorts. Using your fingers, fold up and pinch together the ends of the dough so the filling is completely contained within the cookie.

Primal Paleo fig newton dough and filling assembly

Repeat with the other half of the dough. Slice each log into 10 cookies, allow 1in space between cookies, and transfer the parchment to a baking sheet.

Paleo primal fig newtons sliced on baking sheet to go in oven

Bake for 14-18 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom and around the edges, but still soft to the touch. Remove to a cooling rack and let come to room temperature. Store in an airtight container; they're at the best for the first 2-3 days. Enjoy!

Paleo Primal fig newtons baked up and stacked on a plate

13 comments:

  1. This looks great! Would you like to submit it Stuffed Pepper? We're having a paleo month come up soon, it this would be a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather, thank you! Thanks for the interest - why don't you email me with details: Lena.LMH@gmail.com
      Thanks again!
      -Leanna

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you able to replace the starch with any other starch?

    These look so amazing and with this blizzard I am not going back out in this weather until tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! I have not experimented with other starches but I've read that cornstarch is the best substitute, but they may come out with more of a crisp, but I can't imagine by much. Potato starch may work as well. Arrowroot is another option, but it tends to absorb a bit more moisture, so they could be a bit more dense.
      If I were you, cornstarch would be my first choice, followed by potato and then arrowroot.
      Good luck!

      Delete
  4. Leanna, these look awesome, but they have dairy in them :-( thought they were Paleo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butter is widely considered paleo. If your body accepts dairy, eat it. If not, don't! Use ghee or coconut oil. My mantra, in my about me, is that I don't label myself, I'm not into the "but that isn't paleo!" (paleo police) and only label my recipes as such for other's ease. I believe everyone can make their own choices and grass fed, organic butter is accepted by my body.

      Delete
    2. As seen elsewhere on my blog:
      "We try to stay away from grains, refined sugar, legumes, etc... although I still maintain a spiritual connection to baking. You could say we're Primal/Paleo. We do sometimes. But we're not super into labels... just super into doing what works for our bodies. Sometimes we don't eat 100% primal/paleo, so please take your "but THAT isn't paleo!" elsewhere. Just love here... :)

      I label my recipes if they fall under the widely accepted general guidelines of being "paleo" or "primal" just so it's easier for you readers to find them. I leave it up to you at that point to decide if it falls under the umbrella of your eating style because, honestly, I don't care what you eat. Pretty sure you know your body better than me! So.. eat good things. Eat things that make your body happy and your soul happy."

      Delete
  5. Can fresh figs be used instead of dry figs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I have not experimented with fresh figs but I'm sure you could adjust the filling to suit using fresh figs. For other recipes I've seen them diced, soaked and then cooked to a jam like consistency. Just use less liquid with fresh than dry. Good luck!

      Delete