10.23.2010

Collaborative Zucchini Bread

Pages from our recipe book from our wedding shower :)


I promised that I'd post my latest favorite zucchini bread recipe so here it is!

At our wedding shower, my sister had everyone bring a recipe, put it on a page that they decorated, and then assembled a recipe book for me with my friends and families' favorite recipes. It's hilarious, filled with gnome stickers, drawings, collages, beauty, and tons of love. I love making something out of it, because each page is so drastically different and reminiscent of the person whose recipe I'm about to make.

On the very last page, below the words "EASY SWEETS", in a beautiful envelope, is a copy of a cracked and barely legible recipe card. "Zucchini Bread...From the kitchen of: Erna & Brand" (& Brand is scrawled in by my sister, of course). The recipe was given to Brand's mother, Hazel, by a friend, when she was pregnant with Brand. Side note: The bottom says "Good luck and happy eating, Hazel! Your baby girl will soon be here!!!" Candace has added "= BRAND" above baby girl :) Hahaha.

It was adapted by Hazel, then Candace and Brand, and now me. It's now my go-to recipe for late summer, when Candace goes down to Portland to visit Brand, and comes back with several two foot long zucchinis from Hazel's garden...


Collaborative Zucchini Bread

1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups grated zucchini
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2-1 cup add ins: raisins or chocolate chips--I love mini chocolate chips **optional**

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and cinnamon sugar two large loaf pans.

Beat together the oil, applesauce, eggs, and sugar. Add in the zucchini and vanilla.
Combine the dry ingredients. Add the dry to the wet and stir until combined.

Divide into loaf pans evenly and bake for one hour and ten minutes.
Remove onto cooling rack.

Enjoy :)
Wrap in aluminum foil and store at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment