11.12.2010

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

I'm not the biggest fan of red meat. My favorite meal as a child (I kid you not) was filet mignon, baked potato, a big salad, and a dinner roll. I requested it every birthday. I looooved steak--especially my mom or my grandpa's filet mignon. An 8 year old asking for a filet mignon over chicken nuggets is weird, right? When I was a teenager I gave up red meat (and attempted vegetarianism for a while, which led to passing out, IVs, and a nutritionist--that's another story). I only began eating red meat again about two years ago. So last Spring when my parents wanted to split a side of beef with my husband and I from my hometown of Carnation, I agreed. Since then, I've been trying all kinds of new cuts, and new recipes. Like cube steak--didn't even know it existed. Anyway, to get to the point, this means we have about 6 roasts sitting out in my parent's freezer. A few weeks ago my mom and dad were raving about the pot roast she made, so this week, we decided to make one, too! This is a throw it all in the slow cooker recipe, not a from scratch recipe :) (Weird for me, I know. But it turned out good! And you could totally substitute from scratch ingredients--and I will try that next time to lessen the sodium...and other junk that's in those types of things...)

Mom's Slow Cooker Melt-in-Your-Mouth Pot Roast

For the pot roast:
1 onion, quartered (we used a Spanish onion)
2 carrots, in thirds
2-3 potatoes, quartered
5 1/2 pounds pot roast
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 packet onion soup mix
1 1/4 cups water
1 tablespoon beef Better than Bouillion
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup worcestshire sauce

For the gravy:
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 cup cold water

Begin by throwing the carrots, potatoes, and onion pieces in the bottom of the crock pot. Trim the fat off the pot roast, and lay it on top of the vegetables.

In a small bowl, combine the soup, soup mix, water, bouillion, wine, and worcestshire sauce. Pour it over the pot roast. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.

Switch to warm. Remove two cups of the roast's cooking liquid and place in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then slow down to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a prep bowl mix the cornstarch with the cold water. Whisk into the gravy, return to a simmer, and cook until reaches desired consistency.

Serve roast with potato and carrot, and some freshly steamed vegetables as well.

Or you could mash up the potatoes, like we did, with a little butter, buttermilk, parmesan, garlic, salt and pepper :)

No comments:

Post a Comment