3.05.2011

Bob's Surprise Birthday Dinner

For his birthday, we told Bob we were going to make him a dinner of his choice. Instead, we planned him a surprise party (we still made dinner, though). Bob requested a comforting meal from his childhood: pulled pork sandwiches, potatoes au gratin, and kansas dirt cake. I've only ever made potatoes au gratin. Bob wanted his mother's recipes, though, so my little knowledge of these dishes flew out the window. We elected to have someone bring the potatoes, and I focused my energy on the pulled pork, the cake, and the decor!

I had no idea what cut of meat to use, of course, but my butcher happily told me. The conversation went something like this:
"I want to make pulled pork." -me
"So you want a pork shoulder?" -her
"I guess that is what I want!?" -me, relieved
"How much?" -her
"Uhhh..... four pounds?" - me, confused again



Slow Cooker Pulled Pork for Sandwiches
4 lb pork shoulder, or butt
24 ounces root beer
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon montreal steak seasoning
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Johnny's Seasoning Salt
16 ounces of barbeque sauce

In your slow cooker insert, put the pork shoulder and the root beer. Let it sit overnight.

The next morning, about 9 hours before serving, place the insert into your slow cooker, add the garlic, steak seasoning, and worcestershire, then cook on low.

About 9 hours later, drain and shred the pork. Mix the barbeque sauce in and place the shredded pork in the slow cooker on warm to serve.

Serves 10-12.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Kansas Dirt Cake
by Pastor Bob's Mom:)
1 package oreos
2 small boxes instant vanilla pudding
3 cups milk
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
1 cup powdered sugar
1 large container cool whip

Crush the oreos finely. Place about 2/3 into bottom of 10x15 pyrex and reserve the rest for the top. Mix the pudding powder and milk together. Whisk for two minutes. Put in fridge to set for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, cream together the cream cheese and the butter/margarine. Then add the powdered sugar. Add the pudding to the mix, then fold in the cool whip. Pour over the crushed oreos.

Sprinkle the top with remaining oreos, then freeze for at least 8 hours before serving.

Serves a lot. Probably 16. Who knows. All I know is there's a LOT left in my freezer.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Also, we surprised the hell out of him. Yay:)

No comments:

Post a Comment