3.06.2011

Peanut Butter Oatmeal


Today my husband woke up at 11 am. To me jumping on the bed. Obviously, I had been up for hours. But, true to myself, I still had not eaten breakfast. I'm a horrible breakfast eater. Meaning, I rarely ever eat breakfast if I'm left to my own devices. That is why I usually whip up a batch of muffins once a week... more on that later. We've been eating oatmeal lately. We go on breakfast kicks--scrambles, sandwiches, quiche, omelets, you name it, we've eaten it for a month straight for breakfast. We perfected each of these. Now they are all in our regular rotation. Back to the story line--husband wants oatmeal for breakfast. I, in one of my random clicks of inspiration, ask him if he's ever had peanut butter oatmeal. I remember trying this maybe once as a teenager, then forgetting all about it. Today I recreated it for him, but just a little better.


Peanut Butter Oatmeal
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 3/4 cup milk (whole, preferably)
4 tablespoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine the milk and the peanut butter over low heat. Stir until peanut butter is incorporated. Add the oats, then bring it up to medium heat. Stir in the cinnamon and the brown sugar. Bring to a boil, and boil one minute for creamy, soupy oatmeal. Boil 3-4 minutes for creamy, but chunky oatmeal (how we like it).

 Basically, if you've made oatmeal (duh) you know the drill. Cook longer for more absorption, or add less liquid to begin with, to reach your desired consistency. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and enjoy:)

You should definitely mix in raisins, nuts, or jam. And then top with banana or berries. YUMMMM.


4 comments:

  1. ahh I think I'll be trying this tomorrow! Sounds AMAZING! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do, let me know what you think :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made it this morning, I put a little too many oats in it so it was SUPER thick and SUPER filling, but amazing! I added a handful of raisins to ours, I think next time I might try craisins instead, mix it up a little :) Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I only tried it (made it for the husband)--but it would be super filling. It just makes me really happy when someone makes my recipe(s)! So thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete