1.15.2013

Cranberry-Pistachio Biscotti, or Christmas Biscotti

I have this recipe scrawled in a notebook from who knows when... I've been making it for years, after searching for the perfect replica of the biscotti I remember growing up. It's delicious, and we make it for our friends and family every Christmas, along with other goodies, and sometimes throughout the year by special request :)
It's extremely simple to make biscotti and once I made the first batch years ago I kicked myself for waiting so long. It was one of those things (yet another) that I had on my to do list for so long, but waited out of lack of knowledge or intimidation, only to find it was so simple (I'm looking at you, pie crust)!
As with all simple recipes, the quality of your results depends greatly on the quality of your ingredients. Use good quality extracts and extra virgin olive oil, as well as fresh eggs (can I insert how excited I am to not be buying eggs and being able to depend solely on our backyard ladies?!), berries and nuts.

Christmas Biscotti made with cranberries and pistachios

Cranberry-Pistachio Biscotti
Yield: 30-36 depending on your cut

1/4 c olive oil
3/4 c granulated sugar
2 t vanilla extract
1/4 t almond extract
2 eggs
1 3/4 c AP flour
1/4 t salt
1 t baking powder
1/2 c dried cranberries
1 1/2 c shelled pistachios

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees then combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl (flour, salt and baking powder).

In a stand mixer, combine the wet (olive oil, sugar, extracts). Blend and then add in the eggs. Add the dry to the wet gradually. Mix until combined and then fold in the cranberries and pistachios.

Divide the dough in half (it will be sticky) and use wet hands to form 12x2 inch logs on a silicone baking mat lined cookie sheet (or parchment). 

Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven, lower the temperature to 275 degrees, and let the biscotti cool for 10 minutes before slicing on the diagonal into 3/4 inch slices. Lay the slices on their sides and bake 8-10 minutes longer. 

Cool on a wire rack, and store in an air tight container. These keep for a long time, and freeze beautifully, but I doubt they'll last that long :) 

Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment