4.16.2013

Tapioca Pudding (Primal)


I've never liked pudding. I mean, really, it's weird. It's all gelatinous, and just kind of sits in your mouth. When everyone ate those little pudding cups in their lunches I never understood. That pudding in particular was kind of slimy and just...fake tasting. It jiggled. I don't like milk, so why would I like cooked, thickened, sweetened milk?! It wasn't until I was an adult that I actually tried real pudding. Even then, I was like.. meh, it's alright I guess.
When I first had tapioca, it was in boba milk tea. I was really confused. I didn't understand why anyone would voluntarily put chunks of things in their drink. To me, there is nothing worse than drinking what you think is a lovely liquid, and all of a sudden having to deal with a weird texture. I'm a texture person, and it was confusing. After I drank most of my tea, I kind of liked it.
When I first tried tapioca pudding I finally got it. I understood why people like pudding, and I understood why they like tapioca. There was some giggling involved; I was hooked.
One of the first things I thought of "primalizing" after my initial 30 days of strict primal eating was tapioca pudding. I had never made it before, but I instantly knew I could make it primal friendly. I remember exclaiming in excitement to Mikey, and him just kind of reacting like any sane person would: "...yeah? So?" That was a year and a half ago. Now it's time.
It's a rainy Spring day. It is gloomy and gray. The type of day that makes me feel Autumn, and crave all things pumpkin flavored. Or at the very least something satisfying with a hint of spice. It's a slow day. A day to stand in front of the warm stove stirring something hot, fragrant, and bubbly with a wooden spoon. This pudding is just that thing. Rich, and creamy, with just a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. Eaten hot right off the stove, it's satisfying. Chilled, and eaten cold, it's wholesome and lovely. With a spoonful of Chocolate Syrup, it's downright indulgent.


Tapioca Pudding
primal / paleo option / grain-free / gluten-free
Yield: 6 servings

1/3c, or up to 1/2c, small pearl tapioca*
3c whole milk, divided**
2 egg yolks
1/3c honey***
1/4t sea salt
1/2t cinnamon, or to taste
1/4t nutmeg, freshly ground, or to taste
1/2t vanilla extract

Begin by combining the tapioca and 1c of the milk in a heavy bottomed saucepan and soak for 30 minutes. Do not drain; add the remaining 2c milk, egg yolks, honey, and salt. Bring to a low boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, then reduce heat. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg and simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes and stir the mixture frequently using slow, gentle strokes. The pudding should have a nice consistency, and coat the back of a spoon. The tapioca should be soft, gooey, and slightly translucent. 
Add the vanilla extract and allow to cool at room temperature for 20 minutes, then store in the refrigerator with plastic wrap touching the surface of the pudding. 
Enjoy!

*If you prefer a thicker pudding, use more tapioca pearls
**I haven't tried this, but you could try subbing almond/coconut milk to make Paleo
***I use 1/3c of honey for my sweetness preference but you can use up to 1/2c

What food texture did you find strange at first?



No comments:

Post a Comment