10.29.2010

Slow Cooker Chicken Stock

These past two weeks my husband has been doing (most of) the meal planning and cooking. On Tuesday, around 2 pm, we made a Costco run. On our way, I asked him to remind me what was for dinner. When he told me, I realized it was a slow cooker meal. I asked him if I was remembering correctly. I was. Whooooops. So, needless to say, we had to find something quick for dinner. We grabbed a rotisserie chicken at Costco. That night, when my husband asked me if I wanted to keep the carcass for stock (of course), I realized I didn't have ANY room in the freezer to store it. I decided to throw it in the slow cooker overnight, and see what happened.

Slow Cooker Chicken Stock

One 4-5 lb whole chicken carcass (all the bones and skin you can get!)
3 medium carrots, broken into 4 pieces each
2 small onions, quatered
3 celery stalks, broken into 4 pieces each

Celery leaves from a whole bunch of celery
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons garlic
6 stalks fresh rosemary
5 stalks fresh thyme
About 8 cups water, or enough to cover and fill slow cooker

Throw everything in the slow cooker (literally, from across the room). Let cook on low heat for at least 8 hours (mine was on for at least 12 hours), straining any visible fat. Remove all solids and strain stock. Keep refrigerated or frozen until ready to use.
The result is soo fragrant of rosemary, you're going to want to drink it.
I had to work early the next day, so my husband took the stock out of the slow cooker. I asked him to keep about 4 cups out so I could make a small batch of soup for us the next day. I got home that evening, opened the fridge, and saw this:

Of course. Hahahahhahaha. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment