2.25.2012

Biscuits (Primal/Paleo)

This morning, I woke up thinking about attempting samoa cookies primally. I was going to do some preliminary research to concoct my own recipe, but a quick google search yielded a recipe on Pinterest. Then I spent way too much time looking at Primal recipes on Pinterest. I really wanted to make some fig newtons for hubs, but didn't have one of the ingredients. Things evolved and I decided satisfying my baking urge at 10am would be better (somehow) if it could at least be called breakfast. Then I spent a long time looking at more recipes of scones and muffins. I came across a few biscuit recipes and decided biscuit sandwiches with runny eggs and crisp bacon sounded good. It didn't quite turn out that way... but delicious, nonetheless. I used a recipe from Elana's Pantry. The only things I changed were halving it, using almond meal instead of flour, maple syrup instead of agave nectar, and real butter.


Almond flour primal biscuits

Primal Biscuits


1 1/4 c blanched almond meal (make your own)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons butter, cold
1 egg

1 teaspoon maple syrup or sweetener of choice

Primal biscuits made with almond flourI made some almond meal in the food processor (and woke hubs up), then whisked it together with the salt and baking soda. I mixed the egg up in a separate bowl, plopped the egg and syrup in, then added the dry ingredients. I used a fork to mash the butter into the almond meal until things were combined, but specks of butter were still visible. 

I rolled it out to about an inch thickness between two silicone baking mats, then cut the biscuits. Be careful when you transfer them, they are pretty delicate with the meal. Into a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. 


This only made about 3 biscuits for me. They were pretty delicate, and not suitable for my original intention of using them to make little breakfast sandwiches. Instead, we had them alongside eggs and bacon. They were delicious! I think next time I'd try using maybe 1/2 cup of coconut flour in lieu of some of the almond meal. They seemed kind of scone-like, which was the best of both worlds for me.

Primal almond flour biscuits with bacon and scrambled eggs

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if adding an extra egg would help bind them a little better? Either way I'm totally making these! :)

    ReplyDelete