2.05.2013

Morning Glory Muffins (Primal/Paleo)

For my sister's birthday she didn't want cake. She wanted me to primalize my Morning Glory muffin recipe. Little did she know I was already making her a (Log Lady) cake anyway for her surprise party...  So I didn't have a ton of time to work on tweaking an existing recipe, but, luckily someone did the work for me and I came across a morning glory muffin recipe that was primal and super close to my own recipe! Yay! Of course, I tweaked it just a touch. They turned out amazing. Just as good as the grainy original, just slightly denser, and less sweet. Perfect! As always, you can use various fruits and veggies such as sweet potato, zucchini, parsnip, etc. You can also use any combination of add-ins for the 1c of raisins and walnuts I used. A favorite is 1/2c walnuts, heaping 1/2c dark chocolate chips.

Primal and paleo fruit and vegetable packed morning glory muffins with almond flour

Morning Glory Muffins
primal / paleo / grain-free / gluten-free
Yield: 12 muffins
Adapted from Paleo Comfort Foods

1.5T cinnamon, ground
1t nutmeg, ground
2t baking soda
3/4t salt
2c carrots, grated
1 large apple, grated
1c coconut, unsweetened shredded or flaked
Heaping 1/2c raisins
Heaping 1/2c walnuts, chopped
3 large eggs
2T honey
1/2c coconut oil, melted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease and line a muffin pan (I recommend silicone liners).

In a large bowl combine the first 5 ingredients. Stir together and add the carrots, apple, coconut, raisins, and walnuts.

In a small bowl combine the honey with the coconut oil. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. The batter will be very, very thick.

Using a 3T disher or scoop (I use this one) to portion the batter. Use your hands to shape each ball of batter slightly smaller at the bottom and place in the muffin tin, pushing and shaping to the hole.

Bake for 35-45 minutes. Cool slightly in pan, then cool fully on a rack. 

Store in an airtight container in the fridge, or freeze for up to 6 months for optimal flavor.

What's your favorite kind of muffin?

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome! Let me know how it goes for you. I'm going to try adding chia and flaxseeds to my next batch :)

      Delete